Key-Hole Base Plate

A local steel fabricator asked me my opinion of using a plasma cutter to cut
out base plates and base plate anchor bolt holes in a continuous operation
(without lifting/stopping the cutting process).  This effectively cuts the
anchor bolt holes but also makes a 1/16" slot from the edge of the base
plate to the anchor bolt hole.

The fabricator states that this is becoming common on the east cost.  I've
never seen this and would welcome peoples comments.

Paul F. Blomberg
Phoenix, AZ