Re: Key-Hole Base Plate

Paul,

This type of fabrication technique is also used by mine equipment
manufacturers.

When fabricating long conveyor systems (often longer than one mile),
they use this method to cut out all the connection and attachment
plates.  This ensures that all the plates are the exact same dimensions,
and simplifies the erection of the conveyor system.

Edwin R. Schmeckpeper, P.E., Ph.D.
Department of Civil Engineering                   Phone  : (208) 885-6702
University of Idaho                               FAX    : (208) 885-6608