RE: SEAOC seismology opinion regarding 10/Lw factor for calculating rho

Thank you for your response, Bob. Although the code cycle appears to be
frustrating, there are other options which the Seismology Committee does not
appear to be considering. Publishing a policy or position statement, in the
SEAOC Plan Review (quarterly journal) or ICBO's monthly journal will help
alleviate much of the problem by making building officials aware of the
original intention of the code and the recommendations of the Seismology
Committee as to how these ambiguous issues may be resolved. This can go a
long way to help remove some of the confusion that delays plan checks or
wastes time debating issues that are misinterpreted by mistakes in the code.
I feel frustrated because building officials are no necessarily accepting
compliance with the code and engineers are placing themselves in a
potentially serious position that makes them susceptible to possible
litigation arising from a frivolous foundation or complaint. This can arise
from any party in the building process who becomes dissatisfied in the
performance of any player. Once an expert witness is brought in to evaluate
the failings of each party, the EOR who has not met minimum compliance is a
much bigger target.

A local architect asked why I just don't obtain E&O insurance and let the
insurance company handle it if it should occur. First off, I become
responsible for a deductible with each complaint. This essentially negates
my design fee (or most of it). Second, this is not the appropriate way to
resolve the problem. Furthermore, it is not, in my opinion, professionally
responsible of SEAOC to take a position of ambivalence to the issues.

Let me be clear that I do recognize that members of SEAOC and the Seismology
Committee do exist that are as frustrated as I am. One of the most prominent
who I admire for promising to resolve the issues is Ron Hamburger who, as
most of us know, is the state president. I sometimes wonder if even the
Seismology Committee is to big for the board of directors at state level.

It's no secrete that I am on a soapbox on this issue, but my only weapon at
this time is my public opinion.

Dennis S. Wish PE