Re: SEAOC seismology opinion regarding 10/Lw factor for calculating rho

In a message dated 11/23/99 10:04:32 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Rick.Drake(--nospam--at)fluor.com writes:

<<
 Dennis:

 You have a misconception about how quickly the code change process works.  I
 think it would be appropriate for you to learn a little about the
International
 Building Code (IBC) change process before you accuse Martin Johnson or
anyone of
 being unmotivated.    Clearly, you have never met Martin and your comment was
 out-of-line.

 Rick Drake, SE
 Fluor Daniel, Aliso viejo.

I cannot believe all this bureaucratic double-talk I have been reading on
this board lately!!!!!!. It appears that a mistake has been made with the
intent of the code. To wait an additional several years until the harm can be
undone is totally foolish  and unnecessary! What I want to find out from the
members of the Seismology Committee for once and for all (if they will
respond) has the intent of the code as it applies to wood structures been
misinterpreted in the code?  Has a mistake been made?  Do changes need to be
made? If the code as it was adopted needs to be modified, or certain sections
removed, than lets get it done now!!!!!!!  The same Committee should contact
the Governors office to have specific sections of the code repealed on an
emergency basis immediately. How hard is that?  All we need is to get the
Seismology Committee to help out. Am I missing something here?  As a sole
practitioner, having to make instant decisions, and putting out fires on the
spot all the time ..... am I wrong for expecting others in responsible
positions to do the same?

Andrew