RE: SEAOC seismology opinion regarding 10/Lw factor for calculating rho

With regards to the legal impact of this issue, the concept makes me recall
the direction given to me while in the military where it is O.K. and yes,
mandatory, to disregard illegal orders.

So far, AFAIK, no one has disputed 10/lw<=1.0. No one. If someone disputes
this issue, from a technical point of view, speak up now!

>From what I've read and conversations I have had 10/lw>1 is an error.

Using 10/.w<=1.0 is not a relaxation or a "less stringent" interpretation of
the building code, since the omission of "<=1.0" is an error.

So, I pose to the legal experts in the crowd, what is the legal
ramifications (beyond plan check approval) of the above approach? Is this
argument defensible in a court of law?

Bill Allen, S.E.
ALLEN DESIGNS
Laguna Niguel, CA