Re: SEAOC seismology opinion (10/Lw)

The purpose of the code (1997 UBC, Section 101.2) is aimed at safety
NOT economy.  That being said, it IS important that codewriters keep
in mind the economical realities under which we designers must work.
However, EMERGENCY code changes to promote economy (as opposed to
addressing a major safety concern) are inappropriate.  When a serious
safety problem is found, an emergency code change MAY be appropriate.
When an issue of economy is found, we must work through the normal
process.

In answer to Andrew's question:
NO, the intent of the code as it applies to wood structures has not
been misinterpreted in the code.  Rather, 10/Lw is an unintended
error as it applies to ALL structures.

It's a real shame that this error was made.  The problem that caused
the error is that tens of thousands of people are willing to
criticize the code, but almost no one is willing to work at changing
it.