RE: 10/lw factor and Wood Frame Walls

Finally, a voice of reason. Why is there so much resistance to the state
President - especially when he is SO willing to work with the members of the
association? My deepest gratitude to Ron Hamburger for his continued effort
to overcome the problems that we are facing.
I would, however, carry Ron's suggestion one step further - use the Building
Standards as a medium to discuss other ambiguities in the code. The fact
that the problem is documented carries much weight in the building
departments, not to mention as evidential substantiation that might be
needed for the engineers defense or to ward off the potential for frivolous
lawsuits.
Now the big question - Is the Seismology Committee omnipotent or is there
some power in the members of the profession to prevail and encourage the
type of rational thought and fair compromise similar to what Ron Hamburger
proposes?
Thank you, Ron, for listening to us - my faith is slowly being restored.
Restoration depends on how willing Seismology or Code Committee is willing
to take this direction. One thing is for certain - of all of the debates
that we have had, we have had no more than 1 or 2 that are supportive of the
code methodology and only one, that I know of, who submitted his
encouragement in writing to former state president John Shipp.

Ron, consider runner for a four year term (which I think is necessary to
accomplish some of these seemingly insurmountable tasks) and you will have
my pledge of support.

Dennis S. Wish PE