RE: SEAOC seismology opinion regarding 10/Lw factor for calculating rho

At 07:31 AM 11/24/99 -0800, you wrote:

>Dennis:
>
>I must have missed the course on interpersonal dynamics in college.  Please
>explain to me how making derogatory personal attacks on individuals in our
>profession will improve the code change process.

        I'm not Dennis, but I will tackle the question, with a demurrer:
Without admitting for all time that there was a "derogatory personal attack"
made, let's concede for the moment that you are correct; that's what it was
for purposes of this reply.

        Now then, taking into account all the insider-controlled mechanisms
by which code change committees are formed, and how they operate, and the
degree to which elitist, groupthink attitudes prevail within, and the
accustomed prestige and weight accorded these committees by the Building
Officials Conferences, etc.....

        And taking into account the "haste makes waste, but we don't care"
excuse already admitted to in another message on this topic in the last 24
hours (an admission of prima facie negligence, and that only appeared in the
open as a result of the contentiousness you deplore) to wit:
        "Many code problems arise because too much work is left to too few
volunteers with too little time."

        And taking into account the habits of secrecy the committees in
question have adopted to conceal their deliberations from the outside, and
noting the systematic avoidance of outreach to affected, "impacted" segments
of the profession and construction industry, which avoidance appears to bear
a contemptous attitude toward those interests,

        The answer, the explanation of how a "derogatory personal attack"
helps in such a situation, boomerangs back onto the questioner. The answer
metaphorically lies in the reply given in the golden age of America's Cup
racing by financier/yachtsman J.P. Morgan (or was it Cornelius Vanderbilt)
to the question, "How much does it cost to own and race a yacht?"  His
astute reply: "If you have to ask, you can't afford one."

If you have to ask, you don't understand the depth of the problem.

Charles O. Greenlaw  SE