Re: Committee on Wood

>no proposal is passed along to the code bodies without development of
>a complete committee consensus.
I read this with some interest, given my experience with other design
codes. It sounds a lot more like the ASME Code process. Which I'm glad to
see. One thing Ron didn't mention was provision for interpretation by the
main code committee. Most of the ASME promulgated codes meet regularly to
consider questions submitted by users and render interpretations.
Questions are submitted in the form, 'Does (particular code part) allow
or require (a specific action)?' to be answered substantially 'yes' or
'no.' The committee doesn't get any more involved in someone's design
than code interpretation. There are also provisions for Code
cases--broader provisions covering specific requirements intended
eventually to find their way into the Code.

Ron didn't mention interpretation as a committee function, but it would
sure seems that a provision for addressing properly laid out questions
would be valuable.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw