Re: Reliabilitiy - Redundancy Factor, 1997 UBC, Section 1630

Christopher Wright, P. E. in his November 27, 1999, email message to the
SEAOSC List Service wrote: "According to Ron Hamburger, code provisions are
necessarily subject to public review and comment.  Did such review take
place?  If so what was the result?  If not why not?  Seems like there's two
versions of this floating around."

Based on personal knowledge, I would like to respond to the questions raised
by Christopher Wright in his November 27, 1999, email message.

On November 27, 1995, (yes, 1995), I wrote a letter to Robert Bachman, Past
Chair of the SEAOC Seismology Committee, in response to his request that I
review and comment on the October 25, 1995, draft of the proposed 1997 UBC
Seismic Provisions.  I commented that I had concerns about the Reliability -
Redundancy Factor, how it was defined and applied.  I also wrote that I
thought the proposed 1997 UBC Seismic Provisions were too complex and would
be difficult for the average competent structural engineer to understand and
follow.   I do not recall ever getting a reply to my letter.

On January 8, 1996, (yes, 1996), I wrote a letter to David Bonneville, Chair
of the SEAOC Seismology Committee, in response to his December 20, 1995,
letter requesting that I review and comment on the December 1995 draft of the
proposed 1997 UBC Seismic Provisions.  My letter was six pages long and
included 12  8 1/2" x 11" hand written calculations to support the statements
in the type written letter.

In the Closing to my letter, I wrote: "Limitations on my time preclude
additional study of Section 1645.1 (now Section 1630 in 1997 UBC) and
Equation (45-3), (now Equation (30-3) in 1997 UBC).  I sincerely hope you and
the Seismology Committee will critically review the basis for my calculations
was well as the calculations themselves and tell me where I am possibly
wrong.  Based on my calculations and sketches, it appears to me that Equation
(45-3), as now written, could be counter-productive to providing
"Reliability" and "Redundancy" in the seismic design solutions that could
result from the application of the proposed SEAOC Strength Design Code
Change.  I would encourage the individual members of the Seismology Committee
to prepare their own similar parametric study type calculations to verify for
themselves the viability of Equation (45-3) and the wording of Section
1645.1. If you have any questions concerning any of the calculations or
statements in this letter or desire additional information, please contact
me."

I sent copies of my January 8, 1996, letter to Dominic Campi and Tom Hale,
who I believe were members of the SEAOC Seismology Committee.

The only response I received, was not from David Bonneville, but from one of
the members of the SEAOC Seismology Committee, who scrolled across a copy of
my January 8, 1999, letter with a broad felt-tipped pen the wording to the
effect: "If you use a rho factor = 1.5, you can do anything."  After going to
all the trouble to prepare 12 pages of calculations and a six page letter and
then to get such a terse and unprofessional reply, you can judge for
yourselves about the validity of the public review and comment process that
Ron Hamburger referred to in his November 27, 1999, email message to the
SEAOSC List Service on the subject "Committee on Wood."

If you do not show up at the critical SEAOC Seismology meetings or any other
similar code committee meetings and present your positions in person, it is
my humble opinion, you are just wasting your time to simply submit your
comments in writing.  Based on my experience with attempting to comment in
writing about the proposed 1997 UBC seismic provisions and the FEMA 273 and
ASCE/FEMA 273 and 310 proposed standards, unless you show up at the critical
meetings, if invited, the so called "public review and comment" procedures
are not very effective in the changing the outcome of the code process
because the committee members have already made up their minds.

Please understand I get no joy in writing the above email message, because it
will diminish and abrade the close personal relationships I have enjoyed in
the past with the people mentioned in this email message for whom I have the
highest personal and professional regard.

Frank E. McClure    November 28, 1999