From: Dan Vines [mailto:dan(--nospam--at)willettengineering.com]
Sent: Monday, November 29, 1999 1:15 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: 1/3 stress increase for 5 psf interior wind load

I have designed (picked out of a catalog, really) interior load bearing
metal studs for a small office type structure.

Dale/Incor, in their catalog, provides allowable axial loads for various
stud sizes at various heights under various wind loading condtions (other
manufacturers provide the same info).  Anyway, they have a footnote that
states:

For components subjected to 5 psf and greater lateral wind loads, the actual
bending and axial stresses were multiplied by 0.75 in accordance with AISI
Section A4.4

AISI sect. A4.4 states:  Where load combinations specified by the applicable
building code include wind or eq loads, the resulting forces may be
multiplied by 0.75.

The question is:  does the 5 psf interior wall loading prescribed by code
constitute a WIND load.  My boss and I both think so, but I would love a
second, third, or twelfth opinion.

Thanks
Dan

Sherman D. (Dan) Vines
Willett Engineering Co., Inc.
dan(--nospam--at)willettengineering.com <mailto:dan(--nospam--at)willettengineering.com>