1/3 stress increase for 5 psf interior w

Dan,

IIRC (I don't have my codes handy) the 5psf on interior walls is not wind
from people or material leaning against the wall but would most likely
occur in an emergency situation where people are crowding together to get
out of the building.  In a situation like this, you (at least I) don't want
interior walls collapsing and obstructing egress.  Also, (again IIRC) the
load for elevator shafts used to be 10psf to account for pressures built up
during elevator operation but was reduced to 5psf about 20 years ago, which,
again, is not a wind loading.

Although it is ambiguous in the UBC (thru 1997), other codes, ASCE 7 and the
forthcoming IBC 2000 amongst them, have a minimum wind pressure of 10psf.

This loading of interior walls reminds me of when I was going to school, one
of my classes was in one of the older buildings on campus.  The first time
that I leaned on the hallway wall, I thought it was going to collapse.  A
sharp push would have a wave traveling down the wall.

Hope this helps.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Dan Vines wrote:

>>I have designed (picked out of a catalog, really) interior load bearing
metal studs for a small office type structure.

Dale/Incor, in their catalog, provides allowable axial loads for various
stud sizes at various heights under various wind loading condtions (other
manufacturers provide the same info).  Anyway, they have a footnote that
states:

For components subjected to 5 psf and greater lateral wind loads, the actual
bending and axial stresses were multiplied by 0.75 in accordance with AISI
Section A4.4

AISI sect. A4.4 states:  Where load combinations specified by the applicable
building code include wind or eq loads, the resulting forces may be
multiplied by 0.75.

The question is:  does the 5 psf interior wall loading prescribed by code
constitute a WIND load.  My boss and I both think so, but I would love a
second, third, or twelfth opinion.

Thanks
Dan<<