RE: SEA Membership Inquiry

Ed,
I'm not sure if my response is appropriate and I would not want to suggest
that you not join the chapter closest to your home or office, however, you
are free to join any chapter that you believe offers you the most "return on
your buck". These are my own opinions and should not be misconstrued to
represent any position as a Southern California Chapter member.
If you work in a small office or intend to be self-employed, you may chose
to search out the chapter which best represents the small office needs.
Although I live closest to Southern Chapter (150 East and in the desert) I
have no chapter reasonably close that I would intend to make frequent visits
or attend monthly meetings. In this case, I would consider the chapter which
has the strongest support for a small practice and one with supports the SEA
International Listserver and website. This would be SEAOSC, who owns the
hardware and has been historically consistent in their support of the
virtual community and local small business owners.
There are three other chapters - each provides a percentage of dues for the
state SEAOC - which you automatically become a member of as well as support
from NCSEA (which sends you their quarterly journal).

My personal opinion is that we live in a time where geographic boundaries
are no longer as important to those of us outside a reasonable distance from
any one local chapter. Therefore, I would be more inclined to search out the
chapter that best supports my business needs.

If you go to the SEAINT website at www.seaint.org , you will find the email
and phone numbers for each of the four state chapters.

Regards,
Dennis S. Wish, PE
SEConsultant(--nospam--at)Earthlink.net <mailto:SEConsultant(--nospam--at)Earthlink.net>
(208) 361-5447 Efax