From: Waterman Drinkwater <Drinkwater(--nospam--at)EQUATION.COM>
To: "'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: dynamic condensation
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 13:24:56 -0500

Hi,

Are there any references to "dynamic condensation"? There is a well-known
method, static condensation, that condens a stiffness matrix with respect to
a particular set of DOF. The subject interested here is "dymanic
condensation", that condens eigenvalue equations. For the following example,

| K_aa  K_ab  |  |  X_1 |=(lambda) |  X_1 |
| K_ba  K_bb  |  |  X_2 |               |  X_2 |

(Due to different font set, it may be difficult in reading the previous
equation. Please re-shape it if necessary)

Conden out the subset {X_2}, and get the equation [D_aa]{X_1}=(lambda){X_1},
where {X_1} is a subset of {X} and the (labmda) solved in small equation is
also eigenvalue of the original equation.

Any references to "dynamic condensation"? Thank you.