UPDATE 1/3 stress increase for 5 psf interior wind load

Thanks again to everyone who replied to my original posts.  Many of your
opinions were "interesting" to say the least.

The final verdict (at least under the 1997 SBC code as confirmed by a
telephone conversation with a gentleman at SBCCI) is that the 5 psf is a
LIVE load: therefore, no 1/3 increase is allowed.

The bad news is that every metal stud mfr. that I have seen takes this 1/3
increase for a 5 psf lateral load for their allowable axial load tables and
curtain wall limiting height tables.  I spoke with a representative with
Deitrich regarding this and I was told that they were aware of the fact that
this was wrong, however a decision was made by the marketing weasles to
publish the tables with this error anyway because "everyone else does it",
and they didn't want their products to appear inferior.

Just another reason to never trust tables.

Dan