RE: office live load

Jeff-

What a jerk (Building Official that is, not you)!. The rational thinking has
already been presented. With the CURRENT floor plan, propose an exit plan
(show cross hatched on the submittal drawings). The exiting corridor only
needs to be four or five feet wide. Calc the exiting AREA for 100 PSF (w/o
partition load) and show that good. The only real problem areas should be
where the exit corridor is parallel to framing. You might have to double up
floor joists in that region only. Put a note on the plan that states
"STRUCTURAL DESIGN BASED ON EXITING PLAN SHOWN. SHOULD THE FLOOR PLAN CHANGE
IN ANY WAY THAT WILL AFFECT THE EXITING PLAN, STRUCTURAL ENGINEER SHALL
REVIEW AND SUBMIT REVISED STRUCTURAL ANALYSIS TO BUILDING OFFICIAL". So, if
the floor plan changes, sure, you would have to reanalyze it. THAT makes
sense! However, more than likely, the revised floor plan will work, too.

In my opinion, if the building official does not accept the above, he is
overstepping the boundary of his authority.

This sounds like just one more engineer taking the "what if" scenario once
more to a place void of common sense.

Sheesh!

Bill Allen, S.E.
ALLEN DESIGNS