Re: Reliability - Redundancy Factor, 1997 UBC, Section 1630

SEAOSC List Service,

This is the last of the subject message that I will be resending in parts
because the SEAOSC List Service has limitations on the length of my email
messages.

I apologize for any inconvenience caused by my resending this subject
message, but I considered the contents of the message important.

Frank E. McClure
<HTML><FONT  SIZE=3 PTSIZE=10>To provide a balance to the discussion relative to the subject matter and my November 28, 1999, email message to the SEAOSC List Service, I am forwarding a copy of Robert Bachman's November 11, 1999, email message to me.  I hope he will not be too upset concerning sharing his important email message with you, but he presents a more complete history of the development of the Reliability - Redundancy Factor, 1997 UBC, Section 1630 than my November 28, 1999, email message presented.<BR>
<BR>
In closing, I would like to share with you a thought that came to me during all this discussion of the role of the various SEAOC Committees involved in the development of the seismic provisions in the ICBO 1997 UBC, the ICC 2000 IBC as well as the committees involved with the development of the ASCE/FEMA 273 and ASCE/FEMA  310 proposed standards, etc.<BR>
<BR>
My son-in-law is a medical doctor in New York City, specializing in cardiology.  He has explained to me that during his first year in medical school he was taught about Hippocrates' words - "First, do no harm."   In other words, as a doctor attempts to advise the patient and "Do Good",  he "First" must try to "do no harm."<BR>
<BR>
As these dedicated volunteer committees work to improved the seismic building code, guidelines and standards - to "Do Good"- they should  "First, do no harm."<BR>
<BR>
If the members of these important committees can look themselves in the mirror each morning and say they tried to "First, do no harm", then they will have earned our respect and admiration for their dedicated service to the structural engineering profession.  Having said that, even if they are donating their time and efforts, they still must try to "get it right" and "First, do no harm" whether they are compensated or not for their efforts.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Frank E. McClure    December 2, 1999</HTML>