Out of Plane Wall Anchorage

I have a question regarding wood diaphragm anchorage to masonry/concrete
walls. Section 1633.2.8.1 (Out-of-Plane wall anchorage to flexible
diaphragms) item 5 reads as follows:

5.	The strength design forces for wood elements of the wall anchorage
system shall be 0.85 time the force otherwise required by this section
and these wood elements shall have a minimum actual net thickness of
2-1/2".

We are attaching a tilt-up wall panel to a wood floor and roof system.
I take this to mean that I need a minimum of 2-1/2" nail penetration
into whatever I nail to.  I if nail a joist, I need 2-1/2" penetration,
same thing for a truss.  I also understand the need to prevent pullout.
So here's the question, is there a way around this provision that makes
sense. I want to follow the code, but manufacturing trusses out of 3x
doesn't make sense.  And only the largest TJI's will meet the
requirement.  Suggestions anyone?

P.S. Why increase the member size while decreasing the force????

Jake Watson E.I.T.
Salt Lake City, UT