Re: Energy Absorbing Foundation For Manufactured Housing

Here are some comments, none of which are excessively serious.

The first is, taking the statement of county requirement as written, how
much noise and concussion is the homeowner expected to generate inside his
manufactured home, that has to be absorbed and transmitted to the foundation
and on into the ground? This situation is a natural for requiring an
"environmental impact" report. Or for being furnished one.

Is it possible the county official misunderstood, and thinks he is going to
be manufacturing homes there? Maybe the county official has suffered a
concussion himself.

As for a remedy, the first thing that comes to mind is that the county
official wants a bribe. That noise problem suggests hush money.

If they really want noise and concussion isolation between the house and
ground, then support the house chassis on inflated truck tires and rims,
which should be bolted to fixed, non-turning flanges so the place can't roll
away, like at night if repossessed. Inflation pressure can be adjusted to
obtain a satisfactory bump absorption stiffness. Any county that has such
rules can't possibly care if junkyard parts are the means of compliance.
With careful selection of tire brand, a good year or more of service should
be had from each set. Depending on the nearby quarry's rock type, bridge
stones or fire stones might be suitable, and enhance the driveway or hearth
inside. Instead of living under a lot of pressure like most of us, this
homeowner would be living over it instead. If the house bounces too much, a
drip irrigation apparatus could be set to keep the tires wet and dampen
their motion. As for "supporting data", it's all molded right onto the side
wall of each tire.

Hope this helps with something.

Charles O. Greenlaw, SE