RE: DeVere (vs. Madden)

Bogdan,

Again, I received an undeliverable error on my messages to you, yesterday,
december 2nd..So we will have to postpone our personal chats until we can
communicate again. Let me know if that alternate email works.

About your foundation beams. . .

The book I have, "Foundation Analysis & Design" by Joseph Bowles calls the
Winkler Method the "Classical Solution of Beam on Elastic Foundation" It
gives no credit to the developer of the Finite Element Method other than
Newmark.

Here are the disadvantages listed for the Winkler/Classical Method vs. the
FEM:

1.Assumes weightless beam (but weight will be a factor when footing tends to
separate from the soil)
2. Dificult to remove soil effect when footing tends to separate from soil
3. Difficult to account for boundary conditions of known rotation or
deflection at selected points.
4. Difficult to apply multiple types of loads to a footing.
5. Difficult to change footing properties of I,D, and B along member
6. Difficult to allow for change in subgrade reaction along footing.

The author also states that "Rarely is the classical approach more worthwile
than the FEM"

Let me know when you get a new email, I've given up after 20 tries to
respond.

Talk to you soon (hopefully!)
-Gerard

Gerard Madden, P.E.