RE: Design of knee braced steel frame for support of a crane on a trolley

You're on the right track. Section 2213.8.6 allows the use of table 16-p for
non-building structures. Since your frame falls into the category of all
other structures, R=2.9 should be appropriate. And you need only comply with
requirements of 2213.8.3.

Ben Yousefi, SE
San Jose, CA