RE: Plywood shear walls with 3x sills...

After seeing more and more crappy 2x foundation grade sill plate material
that is readily available, and...as of late, seeing more and more 4x or 3x
PT sill plates in actual use, regardless of what the contractors say about
availability...I think that foundation sill plates in zone 3 and 4 should be
3x or 4x regardless of load. Also I think that 3" edge nailing should
require a 4x even if it is not at an *adjoining* panel edge. One nice thing
about some of the pre-1930's bay area wood structures was that they had nice
beefy sill plates. I am watching some of the new lofts going up in San
Francisco and I see double walls with 3x and 4x studs at 16 "o.c. Maybe
that's why its not available, its all being used up in SF.

Jeff Smith