Re: message formats [was Energy Absorbing Foundation]

> From: Roger Turk <73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com>

> Well said Mark Gilligan!
>
> I just delete *all* binary messages, which includes HTML files.  I figure
> that if the sender doesn't want everyone to read them, I won't read them!  If
> they wanted the message read, it would be sent in ASCII text.

> Mark Gilligan wrote:
>
> >>A word to those who transmit their mesages in a non-standard file format,
> you run the risk that a number of people cannot read your posting.<<

You are both making some very broad assumptions:
1) that the people who use email software that create HTML mail know
what you are talking about (usually software by a certain monopoly);
2) that they would know what to do to change it;
3) that they care that some people are still using ASCII only readers.

The pipeline is getting big enough that I no longer care that I need to
d/l 3x as much data to get a message. However, I would prefer my reader
to recognize the excess trash and not display it. Que sera, sera ....

In a Windows world, a Mac user gets used to working with multi-format
capability. It must be awful for you guys to be working with the UNIX
heritage of internet standards in a single-minded Microsoft environment.
:-)

--
Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project