Re: Structural glass design

I'm not sure if you're saying the lites of glass are too large or they are too
narrow.  I have found that tall lites of glass will generally be limited by
seismic requirements - interstory drift will cause the frame to rack which will
then cause glass/metal contact.  Or, large lites of glass will be limited by
either the deflection of the supporting members or the bearing stress of the
glass.  I have yet to see a lite that is too large for the setting blocks.  One
of the previous responses stated that a statistical analysis was required, which
is true.  However, we always leave that to the glass manufacturer.  Here is the
number for Pilkington Libby-Owens-Ford's Architectural Technical Services:
(419)247-4448
fax (419)247-4395

Someone there should be able to help you with your questions regarding the
glass.

"Fariborz Tehrani" <fmtehrani(--nospam--at)hotmail.com> on 12/06/99 03:46:49 PM