RE: Career Change Possible - Input Requested

Tough question. Who is to say what the best "specialty" will be 10, 15 20
years down the line? Test Engineering? New Building Design? Forensics?
Expert Witness? Renovation? Bridge Design? Who knows.

My best answer for someone at your stage in your career is to keep as many
doors propped open instead of closing them. If at all possible, it would be
nice if you could wait until you passed a PE exam before going to a field
that doesn't require one. At least then you can come back as a PE.
Otherwise, it may be more difficult. Maybe you can use your vacation time to
work in the new field for a little bit. Maybe you can ask your friend if you
can put off the decision until after you have passed your PE exam.

All I know is that your professional life will be a roller coaster and the
better prepared you are for the valleys will make you enjoy the peaks all
that much better. Remain flexible for now. Your peak production period will
be when you are in your mid 30s and you shouldn't have to make a life long
committment until then and when you get there, IMO, you should then make it
("the" decision) and stick with it. Until then, keep taking classes (even if
at night), keep a text book on the night stand and a code book in the water
closet.

Good luck,

Bill Allen, S.E.
ALLEN DESIGNS