From: rlewis(--nospam--at)techteam.org [mailto:rlewis(--nospam--at)techteam.org]
Sent: Saturday, December 04, 1999 4:27 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Words of Wisdom Wanted

I am about to visit a site which had a structural failure, with my lawyer.  I
designed a building several years ago which used a plywood box beam rigid
frame type structure.  There was a failure in April 1998 and apparently a
large portion of the roof collapsed.  We found out about the failure when we
received the first papers of a lawsuit in September 1999.  The primary
defendant is the supplier of the plywood rigid frames.

What I would like is some words of wisdom as to what "tell tale" signs to
look for at the site to try to determine the cause of the collapse.  Things
like how things fell indicate what happened, etc.  Also, any reference on
this kind of forensic engineering would be helpful.  Perhaps even questions
to ask.  I'm not sure how much our lawyer will let me talk.  Part of the
building was repaired and put back in service.  Part of it is supposed to be
untouched from the collapse 1-1/2 years ago.

Thanks for your help.

Rich