Moon Stuff

This year will be the first full moon to occur on the winter solstice,
Dec.22, commonly called the  first day of winter.  Since a full moon on the
winter solstice occurred in conjunction with a lunar perigee (point in the
moon's orbit that is closest to Earth).  The moon will appear about 14%
larger than it does at apogee (the point in it's elliptical orbit that is
farthest from the Earth) since the Earth is also several million miles closer
to the sun at this time of the year than in the summer, sunlight
striking the moon is about 7% stronger making it brighter.  Also, this will
be the closest perigee of the Moon of the year since the moon's orbit is
constantly deforming.

If the weather is clear and there is a snow cover where you live, it is
believed that even car headlights will be superfluous.  On December 21st,
1866 the Dakota Sioux took advantage of this combination of occurrences and
staged a devastating retaliatory ambush on soldiers in the Wyoming Territory.

In laymen's terms it will be a super bright full moon, much more than the
usual AND it hasn't happened this way for 133 years!  Our ancestors 133 years
ago saw this.  Our descendants 100 or so years from now will see this again.

I hope someone might find this interesting!

Remember, this will happen December 22, 1999.