Re: Live Load Distribution Factors

You can always go back to basic statics.  I've designed several bridges where the distribution factors were computed assumeing the deck slab acted at a continous beam over the girders.  The girders were assumed to be simple supports.  The wheel loads were moved to various locations in the lanes to envelope the results.

If you want, you could probably refine the analysis to have the girders provide some fixity to the slab.  I've seen people use a live load generator to do this analysis.  If you e-mail me off the list, I will send you an example hand calculation of the procedure.

--Kipp Martin, P. E.
Portland, Oregon