Re: Moon Stuff

>I have always thought about the idea of interplanetary gravitational forces
>having some influence on Earth's seismic activities. I think it is worth
>studying it.
Probably the effects are masked beyond recognition by the randomness of
the actual triggering event. My understanding is that earthquakes are a
kind of stick-slip affair. Two masses that otherwise would have relative
motion held in contact by friction until friction can't hold any longer.
The situation is unstable, insofar as any small relative movement
decreases the friction locally and causes the rest to carry more load,
which in turn causes friction in that area to be lost and it's off to the
races. Seems to me that the actual event which starts it couls be a small
as tidal forces or maybe a thermal tweak or water leaking somewhere to
act as a lubricant. Just like a stack of rocks or logs which falls just
as you figure it will hold and turn your back.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw