RE: Question regarding GLB

Janelle;

I have done some GLB repair and, when I have, I have engaged the services of
specialty experts in the field of Glu-Lam Beam repair. The essense of their
guidance is that, if the GLB is stressed much beyond 50% of the beam's
original capacity, use a new beam (or beams) to support the load. This is
because the testing that has been done demonstrates that there is not much
load sharing going on between a GLB and a steel beam (i.e., channel) bolted
to the side(s) of the beam. You might just want to consider the existing
beam is something convenient to transfer the existing loads to the new beam
and call it a day. But, heck, it's your liability. Do what you want.

Regards,

Bill Allen, S.E.
ALLEN DESIGNS
Laguna Niguel, CA