FW: OMF Design in Seismic Zone 4

Title: FW: OMF Design in Seismic Zone 4

I'll take a crack at answering the connection detailing side of your inquiry.

The moment connection details in the AISC Manual are intended for wind and low-seismic applications, which means any case where you are permitted to (and choose to) use R equal to or less than 3. That generally corresponds to design and construction in accordance with the AISC Specification for Structural Steel Buildings, but not necessarily to the AISC Seismic Provisions.

Since you specifically stated that you are designing an OMF (which has R = 4), you'll have to meet the requirements in the AISC Specification for Structural Steel Buildings as well as the slightly more stringent ones in the AISC Seismic Provisions for Structural Steel Buildings. See Part I, Section 11 therein. Keep an eye on the SAC documents that are now available and shortly to be available as you will find some useful information for OMF design and construction in those as well.

Please note (as a side issue for completeness) that the 1997 AISC Seismic Provisions should be used in conjunction with the 1999 Supplement No. 1, which can be downloaded from www.aisc.org at this link.

<http://www.aisc.org/documents.asp?mode=docdetail&doc=153>

Hope this helps.

Charlie "BUST" Carter