RE: Plan check

The building department can by policy or through code adoption process
require stricter rules for enforcing the building code. However, this should
not be and individual's arbitrary decision. I suggest you ask for a written
policy, and if none is provided, ask for a second opinion from the
supervisor.

Ben Yousefi, SE
San Jose, CA