December 4, 1999, Seismology Committee Recommendations.

Dennis Wish,

In your December 7, 1999, email message on "Seismology December 4, 1999,
Meeting - Rumor Has It....",  you stated: "Doug confirmed that the seismology
committee voted unanimously to exempt residential one and two STORY wood
framed structures from compliance with the current code provisions."
(Emphasis added.)

In Ron Hamburger's December 11, 1999, email message on "Report on Wood
Diaphragm Issue", he stated: "The Committee resolved, with the concurrence of
the Code Committee chair to act as follows:

1. Submit a code change to specifically except 1 and 2 - FAMILY RESIDENTIAL
buildings using light frame construction from requirements for rigid
diaphragm analysis."   (Emphasis added.)

I am not expert in building code matters, but someone should clarify what
specific code or codes that the SEAOC Seismology Committee''s December 4,
1999 recommendations apply to: 1) UBC prior to 1997, 2) 1997 UBC, 3) CABO One
and Two Family Dwelling Code, 4) International One- and Two- Family Dwelling
Code, 5) International Residential Code provisions for One- and Two- Family
dwellings, or 6) all of the above. (I have been lead to believe that the IBC
will not apply to One- and Two- Family Dwellings, but the IRC will apply to
One- and Two- Family Dwellings.)

As you are aware, there is the CABO One and Two Family Dwelling Code, which
was originally developed jointly by the American Insurance Association, BOCA,
ICBO, and SBCCI.  Effective December 4, 1995, CABO assigned all rights and
responsibilities to the CABO One and Two Family Dwelling Code to the
International Code Council (ICC).

There exists (I happen to have a copy) the 1998 International One-and Two-
Family Dwelling Code, which states under Section 103, Scope, "103.1
Application.  The provisions of this code apply to the construction,
addition, prefabrication, alteration, repair, use, occupancy and maintenance
of detached one- and two- FAMILY dwellings and one-family townhouses not more
than THREE stories in height and accessory structures."  (Emphasis added.)

Someone should clarify if the International Residential Code will supersede
the International One- and Two- Family Dwelling Code when the International
Residential Code is adopted and/or has been adopted by the ICC.

I am not trying to question the December 4, 1999, Seismology Committee's
recommendations, but I am trying to have someone be more specific as to the
codes that the recommendations applied to.

In closing, I would like to state again that SEAOC President Ron Hamburger,
working closely with the SEAOC Seismology and Code Committees, deserves much
credit to help resolve an issue that has plagued the one- and two- family
residential building industry for too long.

Frank E. McClure    December 12, 1999