Structural Steel Properties - ASTM A 913 vs. A 992

Gerard,

Your original question asked for the material properties of the "new
structural steel A913 (Grades 50 & 65)."  Heath Mitchell, below, provided
the requested minimum yield and tensile strengths for Grades 50 and 65 of
ASTM A 913/A 913M - 97, "Standard Specification for High-Strength Low-Alloy
Steel Shapes of Structural Quality, Produced by Quenching and Self-Tempering
Process (QST)", but you may not be aware that ASTM A 913/A 913M covers a
total of four grades of material.  They are Grades 50 [345], 60 [415], 65
[450] and 70 [485].

QST material isn't really new, although the ASTM A 913/A 913M - 97
specification is relatively recent.  I suspect it replaced a previous ASTM
specification(s) for QST, but I don't really know because I never use the
QST material.  Because of the two grades you asked about, I wonder if you
didn't actually mean to ask about the properties for Grades 50 and 65 under
the new, and more commonly used, ASTM A 992/A 992M - 98, "Standard
Specification for Steel for Structural Shapes for Use in Building Framing"?

Does anyone know, or want to discuss, the advantages or disadvantages of
ASTM A 913 material versus ASTM A 992?

James H. Stamper, PE (Jim)
Senior Structural Engineer
Heery International, Inc.
Atlanta, Georgia
(E-Mail:  jstamper(--nospam--at)heery.com)