RE: Structural Steel Properties

Thanks to all regarding the comments & questions I made about A913
structural steel and the appropriateness of using A36 w/ Fy= 50 ksi
everywhere in design. I agree with your comments and was not inclined to try
to design assuming Fymin=50 ksi for A36 steel.

The reference to A913 steel came from a package some engineers in my office
received when attending a seminar on changes to the UBC. It states that
"A913 is produced by quenching and self-tempering process... higher yield
strength/ increased toughness/ greatly improved weldability due to lower
carbon equivalent." Whenever I see the word quenching I think of Low
Ductility. I guess no one is using this steel yet and A992 is the way to go.

I see that most of the responses cited A992 as the appropriate choice for
higher strength structural steel. I must admit that I do not do high rises
and have really only studied other firms designs during peer reviews. How
new is A992 and how does it relate cost wise to A572 grade 50?  Is it now
the standard for steel frame construction?

Also to comment on Jim Stamper's "LRFD RULES" jab. When I read these
comments back and forth debating the merits of each I think of my
engineering roots and Science Officer Mr Spock . . . "The needs of the many,
outweigh the needs of the few, or the one" I think that ASD is A OKAY, I
just never learned it for steel. I was taught LRFD in school and I like it,
it gives me great joy knowing that my steel handbook is Silver and shiny
like a metal.

To further comment on Jim's post scripts, I have ZERO BODY PIERCINGS. No Ear
rings, nothing. However, I am thinking about piercing my eyebrow and placing
a A490X bolt in the void. My question to the list server is this, should
that hole be oversized 1/16 or 1/8. I think that punching is more
appropriate than drilling do to the bleeding and pain factors. This way I
could be an extra in Pulp Fiction II.

All in good fun, and thank you again to everyone for the useful info.

-Gerard

Gerard Madden, P.E.
Civil Engineer, Associate
CRJ Associates, Inc.