Re: Structural Steel Properties

Title: Re: Structural Steel Properties

>How new is A992 and how does it relate cost wise to A572 grade 50?
>Is it now the standard for steel frame construction?

A992 is very new as an ASTM Specification (just introduced), but it describes a product that has been around for a long time. In wide-flange shapes, there is no cost difference between A992 and A572 grade 50. At least I haven't found one.

Yes. It is the standard for wide flange shapes (only! ... it doesn't cover anything but wide-flange shapes) in steel building construction.

Charlie

P.S. If you want more information on ASTM A992 and proper materials selection on general, take a look at this three-part article I wrote in AISC's Modern Steel Construction magazine.

Part 1 -- Structural Shapes (January 1999 issue) http://www.modernsteel.com/home.asp?iid=57&aid=167

Part 2 -- Plate Products (February 1999 issue) http://www.modernsteel.com/home.asp?iid=60&aid=188

Part 3 -- Fastening Products (March 1999 issue) http://www.modernsteel.com/home.asp?iid=59&aid=181