From: ken(--nospam--at)ffia.net [mailto:ken(--nospam--at)ffia.net]
Sent: Monday, December 13, 1999 12:56 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: City of Santa Monica

Has anyone dealt with the City of Santa Monica in regards to the following
corrections that I received concerning a one story wood frame residence?

1.) Wood frame shear wall design must distribute lateral loads using a
rigidity analysis.
2.) Wood shear panels shall meet the story drift limitation of Section
1630.10.2. Deflection calculation according to UBC Standard 23-2 shall be
increased 25%. Also, the calculated deflection shall include the
contribution to the deflection from the anchor or tie down slippage. The
total vertical slippage shall be multiplied by the height-to-width ratio of
the shear wall and added to the total horizontal deflection.

Esgil, the plan checking agency for the City did not have a clue to these
requirements.The only information I received from the City was a copy of the
Practical Design & Detailing Seminar Notes for "Wood Diaphragm and Shear
Wall Defections" by Douglas Thompson, S.E. in which they stated this was an
approved method adopted by the Seismology Committee of Seaoc.

Ken Wilkinson S.E.