Re: Precast Double Tees Diaphragm

Jake Watson wrote:

>>One last question, do you have any recommendations on an economical
upgrade.  The diaphragm shears are to high to add a metal roof (upwards
of 4klf) and the walls won't support a topping slab.  We have talked
about adding plates along the flange joints.  Simply place (2) or (3)
bolts vertically through the top flange of each double tee and a common
plate, then place each of these at say 4ft on center.  Unfortunately, in
my mind this is the same style of connection and gets me nowhere.  A
second thought, the PCI book I referred to earlier has a design
methodology for doing a diaphragm without a topping slab.  I just can't
find a reference in the UBC to let me use it.<<

Now you have presented another problem, how to increase the gravity(?)
capacity of the walls, but you haven't given any information about the
walls.  I think that this latter problem will be easier to solve.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona