Fwd: Milo Ketchum R. I. P.

--- Begin Message ---
Mark Ketchum,

We are sadden to hear about the passing of Milo Ketchum.  I sent him an email
message on August 25, 1999, to remind him that he and I first met at a SEAOC
Annual Convention in San Diego (the year I have forgotten).  He was enjoying
himself by sailing a small boat just off the Hotel Coronado pier in San
Diego. My wife and I sailed along with him in another small boat for a little
while as we talked.

He later sent me a copy of a special book that he had prepared about folded
plates and shells, which I appreciated very much.  Unfortunately, I treasured
the book so much that I filed it away someplace in my library so I would not
lose it, but I can not find it now.

I believe it was his father, Milo S. Ketchum, who wrote "Structural
Engineers' Handbook," McGraw-Hill Book Company, that was first printed in
1914.  I found a copy of the 1924 third edition in my library, which
indicated that the total issue was forty-six thousand.  This book was and
still is a classic and most older structural engineers have a copy in their
libraries.  He mentioned this book in his SEAOSC List Service message on
August 23, 1999, Subject: "Moment Frame Algorithms."

Please extend our sincere condolences and sympathy to his family at his
passing.

Frank E. McClure   December 14, 1999.

--- End Message ---