Re: Precast Double Tees Diaphragm

Jake:

You might investigate the possibility of using a fiber overlay at the
joints.  This is a fairly high-tech solution that has been used
successfully by others.

Although the "style" of connection would be the same as the existing
connections if you bolted additional steel plates to the joints, this
may work.  If the capacity of the connections allows them to remain
essentially elastic, the connection ductility problem is solved.

When you are done (employing either of the above) the diaphragm
thickness still won't satisfy the 1997 UBC, but I suspect that
several other features of your existing building don't satisfy the
current UBC.  A working solution for the rehabilitation design (even
if it doesn't satisfy the new building provisions in the UBC) may be
the best solution for your client.

-Mike

*******