RE: Beach Sand

Since nobody else has mentioned it, I think I will clarify.  Beach
sand, no matter how well washed, should NOT be used for concreting.
There are other problems also associated with washing, such as loss
of fines etc. that may be difficult to overcome.  In any case, the
salts can not be removed simply by washing the sand, and washed
sand is not good enough for concreting.

In some peculiar situations, I have heard of neutralising chemicals
added to the sand after "washing".  Don't know how good the long-term
performance has been.  But I will be extremely surprised if the
performance is similar to that of river sand.

I have seen examples of structures with SEVERE corrosion a couple of
years after construction when sea or creek sand has been used.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Ravi Sinha

On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Murat ERBAS wrote:
> IF YOU ABLE TO WASH THE SAND WITH CLEAN WATER, YOU CAN USE AS FINE.

Ravi Sinha, Ph.D.		email: rsinha(--nospam--at)gemini.civil.iitb.ernet.in
Associate Professor		       rsinha(--nospam--at)civil.iitb.ernet.in
Department of Civil Engineering	       Phone: (91-22)-576-7336, 576-7301
IIT, Powai, Mumbai - 400 076, India    Fax: (91-22)-578-3480, 578-3557