RE: Glulam Beams

On several of my projects the glulams have been fabricated by Western
Structures out of Eugene Oregon. They can make you what ever you want,
camber, taper, special lay-up etc, all their beams are technically a special
order. In one case we used pairs of 24F-V8 3-1/8x 30" with no camber (for
easier connections to steel struts) and tapered ends with special layup at
the taper. All were delivered in 10-14 days as promised upon order. One of
the large California suppliers is getting some very bad marks from bay area
contractors for being very slow and late.

Sometimes I will specify more camber than the standard radius for appearance
reasons. Most contractors want to use V4 for simple spans since it is less
expensive and some places, I have been told, have them off the shelf.

Jeff Smith

|~|
|~|
|~|I have a few questions:
|~|
|~|1. Has anyone found 24F-V8 DF/DF glulam beams 5.125 wide by 12
|~|and 15 inches deep to be special order items, i.e. long lead items?
|~|2. What is your experience with camber? Do you typically specify camber?
|~|3. I have a project with simple span window headers and one case
|~|with the glulam header extending beyond the exterior building
|~|line as a cantilever to support a roofed entry. I spec'd a
|~|24F-V8 cambered to be installed upside down so deflections would
|~|be minimized and be apparent under deadloads. What is your
|~|opinions about this installation.
|~|4. I used the same spec. 24F-V8 and cambered for the simple span
|~|headers, 5 feet maximum span, and was informed that camber is
|~|never used for this type of installation. Opinions, please.
|~|
|~|Thank you.
|~|
|~|James Allen, P.E.