SE Jimmie Yee now a Mayor

Last Tuesday night California structural engineer Jimmie R. Yee was sworn in
as mayor of the City of Sacramento, his home town. The office is a full-time
job.

Jim has been a city council member for about five years, and this year has
been vice mayor in a regular rotation of that post among the eight
councilmembers. For much of this year the elected mayor, Joe Serna, was ill
and unable to attend and preside, so Jim had to handle the job. With Mr
Serna's recent death, it became necessary for the council to appoint a
successor until the next election, nearly a year away. They stayed with the
affable engineer Yee.

Jim has been a longtime principal of Cole Yee Schubert Associates, president
of Central Section of SEAOC, and served eight years as the SE member of the
California PE Board. While in that contentious situation, he quietly worked
to correct some serious internal corruption there, and was treated roughly
by several other boardmembers, notably activist appointees of now-Oakland
mayor Jerry Brown. Funny how things level out.

It was my good fortune to be an employee of Jimmie's all through the 1970's.
The first thing he did was put the arm on me to join the local SEAOC
Section, where I had to tend bar at the meetings for a couple of years.

As engineer and retired state legislator Leroy Greene said, engineers don't
run the world but they make the world run. I'm sure Jimmie Yee was accepted
so that Sacramento will run without being run.

Charles O. Greenlaw  SE  Sacramento CA