97 UBC 2304.3 - HDG fasteners in PT wood

1997 UBC section 2304.3 states in part as follows:

"....Fasteners for pressure-preservative-treated and fire-retardant-treated
wood shall be of hot-dipped zinc-coated galvanized, stainless steel, silicon
bronze or copper...."

The 1994 UBC had similar language in section 2311.1, HOWEVER, there was an
exception, where approved, that applied if the wood was not exposed to
weather or below grade.  My interpretation of history is that it was
"approved" by INaction on the part of building officials, since I have never
heard of the exception being disallowed.

Has anyone out there heard any reasons that such a change was proffered?
Was is just a mistake?  Have there been any reports of decay to fasteners in
contact with PT lumber?

IMHO, this amounts to a major change to common practice.  This essentially
outlaws machine nailing of wall sheathing to a PT sill plate, since machine
nails can be electro-galvanized, but not HOT-DIPPED galvanized.  This also
means that anchor bolts and tie-down anchors need to be HDG also.  What
about threaded rod for retrofit applications?  Can threaded rod be
hot-dipped galvanized?  I guess it's time to order that stainless steel
threaded rod!!

I would think Simpson Strong-Tie would be concerned.  Look at page 24 of the
C-99 catalog.  RFB's are not HDG.  The SDS screws for the new BP are not
HDG.

This is a provision that is likely to be overlooked or ignored by 99.99% of
engineers, plan checkers, and contractors.

Are we supposed to live with this, putting us all in the gun sights of
trigger-happy lawyers seeking a percentage of the net worth of
professionals, contractors, and the insurance industry?  What is Simpson
Strong-Tie's market valuation?

It is time that ICBO and the California Building Standards Commission (as
well as other states' similar bodies) open up their process to allow
emergency, retroactive changes to the 97 UBC for this item, and many more
(make your wish list), that appear to have been "administrative", or
"procedural" mistakes.

Mark Swingle, SE
Oakland, CA