Setbacks on buildings subject to seismic

A question for all you real structural seismic people.

I have a building with a setback (i.e. a main pedestal of a building with a
"tower" portion sitting on top of the pedestal).  In reality, it is an
existing building in which we will be cutting out some of the middle bays
for the upper floors.  The result will be a pedestal with two towers
sitting on the two sides.

I have used a suggested procedure(s) for analyzing setback buildings in the
past that was contained in an Appendix of the SEAOC Blue book.  That
Appendix is no longer present in the 1996 Blue book.  I am assuming that
this has been incorporated into the main body of the newer Blue books (i.e.
1996).  The question is: Can any one tell me where this might be addressed
in the newer versions of the Blue book?  I ask because I am not as familiar
with the Blue book, since most of Michigan uses the BOCA code.  I believe I
found it in the Blue book but I want to make sure that I am not missing
other parts that may also address this.

Thanks,

Scott