From: ARW <amirr(--nospam--at)paknet4.ptc.pk>
To: "'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: RE: Hydrodynamic Pressure
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 16:03:09 +-500
Encoding: 31 TEXT, 45 UUENCODE

There is a chapter tilted "Design Spectrum", authored by G. W. Housner, in
the following book:

Wiegel, Robert L. (Coordinating Editor), "Earthquake Engineering",
Prentice-HallI Inc., 1970.

The said chapter outlines the methodology for computation of sloshing
effects on circular tanks. But an oval shape is not covered. References, at
the end of the chapter, lists, amongst others, the following paper by
Housner:

Housner, G. W., (January 1967), "Dynamic Pressures on Accelerated Fluid
Containers", Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., 47(1).

Perhaps this is the original paper by Housner, that you are looking for.

I suspect the date of January 1967 could be January 1957, because in
another book that I have, the year of 1957 is written, for the same
reference. At least, one of them appears to be a typographical error.

Other references that I have, cover only rectangular and cylindrical shapes
only. Therefore, it is not very likely that Housner himself has solved the
case for oval shape.

Hope this helps.

Rizwan Mirza
Consulting Structural Engineer