Importance of making information accessible to engineers (formerly: PE Stamps on Drawings)

Mark,
When I read that the issue was available in some form or other for a year, I
couldn't argue with you. But it seems that there is so much information that
we professionals need to assimilate in the course of doing our jobs as well
as our responsibility to review and check potential policies in the works
that it becomes unreasonable for any individual to maintain intelligent
control over all issues.
So what do we do? If we ignore the issues and this results in poor policy,
we are accused of not participating in the process.
We do not chose or representatives within SEA by their positions on issues -
we allow them to take office by their desires alone. Yes, we receive
ballots, but none of these tell more than the persons professional
qualifications.

In the last couple of years, we have identified "issues" which are important
to practicing professionals and of which there is a strong opinions one side
or the other. Possibly, these issues should become the starting point for
choose representatives IF we want these representatives to "lead" us.

Personally, I don't like this idea. As in politics, the issues are many and
usually too complex to find one individual who will agree on all issues we
find important.

The only reasonable answer, in my mind, is to improve the access to
important issues. One way may be to create a Webpage that does nothing more
than highlight what issues are presently on the agendas and provide a
summary statement of the pro's and con's (by each side concerned) and
allowing the members to take their own responsibility to review the
information. Below each summary can be various links to more detailed
information.

I suggested this in another post a few weeks ago. I could not find the
thread, but remembered that there is a term for this synopsis that is used
in some of the national committee or ICBO process. A short summary is
provided to those in attendance.

One other problem is that information originates from so many sources;
committees, sub-committees, associated industries etc, that it is virtually
impossible for any one interested party to have immediate access to all of
the issues - because of this, we learn about the issues at the last minute.
I only recently learned about the Department of Consumer Affairs website
where the information exists for upcoming (and past) agenda's. I downloaded
those that were recommended from our list, and found that there were other
issues unrelated to engineering, but that which my wife (a nurse) might want
to know about.

Many of the agendas were two or three years old. Trying to locate the issues
contained in the agenda's was not possible without taking the time to
download them and review them for content.

Possibly a solution would be for Committee personnel to list the location
and documents of specific interest in the decision making process and simply
list a short summary and a link on the SEAOC website.

We need to start a dialog as to how we can simplify the process without
relying upon "leaders".

Dennis