UBC Commentary

Just a thought....

Currently the only "commentary" available to the UBC is the Blue Book (I
think).  How hard would it be to publish a commentary similar to that in
ACI 318 inside the UBC?  A teacher told me once, "don't assume your
audience knows anything".  If ICBO assumed I know nothing (very close to
the truth), publishing a commentary parallel to the code would make
sense.  It also would force ICBO (and code writers) to tell us why a
provision is in place.  Many other books profess to have examples of how
to use the code.  Most are helpful but not endorsed by ICBO.  The
commentary in ACI 318 is extremely valuable, providing a great deal of
insight into the intent of the code. Why can't we do that in the UBC (or
IBC)?

Jake Watson, E.I.T.
Salt Lake City, UT