UBC Commentary

Jake,

The closest that ICBO comes to printing a "commentary" is their
"interpretations" book that is now called "applications."  "Interpretations"
(or "applications") is also published in "Building Standards" magazine.

In the past, the only people that could get "interpretations" from ICBO were
their Class A members (building officials of the larger jurisdictions).
Architects, engineers, and members other than Class A members could not get
interpretations (I have tried).

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Jake Watson wrote:

>>Just a thought....

Currently the only "commentary" available to the UBC is the Blue Book (I
think).  How hard would it be to publish a commentary similar to that in
ACI 318 inside the UBC?  A teacher told me once, "don't assume your
audience knows anything".  If ICBO assumed I know nothing (very close to
the truth), publishing a commentary parallel to the code would make
sense.  It also would force ICBO (and code writers) to tell us why a
provision is in place.  Many other books profess to have examples of how
to use the code.  Most are helpful but not endorsed by ICBO.  The
commentary in ACI 318 is extremely valuable, providing a great deal of
insight into the intent of the code. Why can't we do that in the UBC (or
IBC)?

Jake Watson, E.I.T.<<