Re: PE Stamps on Drawings

Dennis Wish wrote:

> Members need not be chastised for failing
> to find the issues, the responsibility lies with policy makers to bring the
> issues to the members for resolution.

One insight this issue has given us, is our preoccupation and propensity for
recrimination and assigning responsibility.  Perhaps we're not that different
from attorneys after all.  Perhaps it becomes easier to see how the regulation
of  engineering practice has turned into a litmus test for culpability.

Interpretation of the building code has always rested on the shoulders of those
who use it and enforce it.  In a similar manner, interpretation of the
construction documents is incumbent upon those who use them and enforce them.

As engineers it is sometimes easy to lose site of the idea that engineering is a
system of objectively valid principles based on theory and research which most
of us were exposed to during our education.

While there may be different ways of achieving these principles, the  violation
of these principles always gives poor results.

Many engineers have devoted their time and careers, at great expense to
themselves, to developing some of  the objective norms that constitute our
codes, leaving the responsibility of interpretation to the practitioner.

In the final analysis, being preoccupied with who stamps what, and who informs
us of legislative changes etc., is of small matter compared to the quality of
our engineering judgment and the precision with which our documents are
interpreted.

Bart Needham, SE